Monday, June 20, 2011

Pre-Ouran High School Host Club Thoughts #02

There was a cast interview for Ouran which I was very excited to see, especially after getting a chance to read character descriptions as well as a short summary of what Ouran is all about.  It was cute to see all of them together, especially to see the size comparison between Honey and Mori.  I also took the time to watch the first episode of the anime, which I don't usually do when I get ready for live-action drama makes, so I must really be anticipating this drama like crazy (for some reason haha).

Character Thoughts:
Haruna as Haruhi - I've only seen her in Yankee-kun to Megane-chan and her acting in that drama was a little.. off, but that doesnt mean I won't like her.  After seeing the interview, I think she's really adorable, but I'm not sure how she'll do as Haruhi.  Before seeing the anime version, I expected Haruhi to be boy-ish as is, not just look the part, but act the part as well, so I thought Haruna's "yankee" rendition would have fit.. turns out it wasn't anything like that so now I'm not sure how fitting she'll be.  Although I'm not sure, I think she'll do a great job.

Yusuke as Tamaki - With all the debate over people, or more like trolling and flaming, who can't see Yusuke as Tamaki needs to stop.  You haven't seen the drama yet so how can you judge beforehand?  I can let opinions go, if they are opinions such as "I don't think he's suited because..." because you're giving a legit reason.  Saying "HE'S NOT TAMAKI, HE DOESNT LOOK LIKE HIM" is not a legit reason.  Looking the part is a small piece to a character, being able to portray the character means more, and I believe that Yusuke can pull it off.  I'm not being biased here, honestly.  From the gestures and emotions that Tamaki has, I think Yusuke can pull them off.  A lot of people say they can't see him do it, well then, let him prove you wrong.  He's done a variety of different roles, none of which can be shown as the same type, along with this coming role.

Daito Shunsuke as Kyoya - Look-wise, Daito was the perfect choice, hands down.  As for acting, there's no doubt that he'll be able to pull it off.  Daito (along with Yusuke) has done a variety of roles as well, a mix between comedic roles and serious roles, playing Kyoya should be a snap.  I don't have much to say only because I don't see a problem with him getting chosen.

Takagi Twins as Hitachiin Twins - I totally forgot about these guys, as I've only seen them in Meichan no Shitsuji, which they didn't have a big role in.  The only twins that I could think of were the Saito Twins.  I was thinking that if they were in consideration for the role, they'd be too old to play them, but when I went to look up the Takagi twins, apparently they were born the same year.  That kind of strikes me considering how much younger the Takagi twins look compared to the Saito twins.  As for acting, I'm expecting them to do a lot of mischievous things and lots of comedy out of those two.  Look-wise, it's totally them, but for acting, we'll see.

Nakamura Masaya as Mori - I don't know much about him except that he's a D-boy and he's married to Yaguchi Mari, but as far as portraying Mori, height-wise, they picked a great guy.  He's taller than Shirota Yuu.. and Shirota is ... well... really tall.  Because he's going to have the fewest lines out of all the characters (which is what we're expecting if they're staying true to the characters), people might think he'll have it easier, but what I think is that he'll have it harder.  It's one thing to express feelings with how you say certain words, but being able to portray an emotion with just your body and facial expresses is pretty difficult since it has to look natural and not so much you just doing a gesture.

Chiba Yudai as Honey - I know NOTHING about this kid (remember I use the word kid loosely).  I've never seen him in anything, or even know what talent agency he's with.  All I know is that everyone wanted someone else to play Honey.  He may not be as small or "boy-ish" as Honey, which is why a lot of people were thinking they should have gone younger, but you got to admit he is pretty tiny, especially in comparison to Nakamura.  He's actually pretty adorable, so I can see him acting cutesy like Honey, but I can't see him acting that young (from what I've seen in the interview).  His voice is definitely not as high-pitched as Honey should be, but I think he'll do an exceptional job.  I don't see why people want Chinen Yuri to play Honey, maybe 4 years ago when HSJ debuted, but not now.  Voice-wise, I can see Tomiura Satoshi playing Honey, but as for acting, it's definitely not gonna go well.  I'm hoping that Chiba will bring a great performance on screen and prove people wrong that he was the best choice.

I do have one final pre-thought for this drama, which I'll save for the next post as this one is really long right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment