Sunday, June 12, 2011

Movie: The Incite Mill (2010)

* I'm trying to do this without spoiling the story *
** Click image to enlarge **

Plot:
Ten people gather together at a complex named “Ankikan” after hearing of a short term job paying 112,000 Yen ($1,236 USD) per hour. The ten people are informed that they will be monitored 24 hours a day for 7 days straight in a psychological experiment. They are then sent to individual rooms with a different weapon located in each room. Once they are locked in they learn the rules of the psychological experiment. 1.) Each person must return to their room by 10 PM. 2.) At the end of 7 days or when there are only two surviving members left alive the experiment will end. The next day a person is found shot to death. Now, what looked like a dream job will turn into a nightmare ...

Cast:
Fujiwara Tatsuya, Ayase Haruka, Ishihara Satomi, Abe Tsuyoshi, Takeda Shinji, Hirayama Aya, Ishii Masanori, Ohno Takuro, Katahira Nagisa, Kitaoji Kinya

Comment:
Surprise twist ending! Yes, it's one of those movies.  Anyways. I just randomly saw this on one of my media sites and thought about trying it out.  The synopsis really caught my eye.  It had the feel of Saw and Battle Royale put together (which happens to be some of my favorite movies) with a hint of the reality show "Solitary".
(That's a helluva lot of money! approx: $1,120USD per hour!)

I really enjoyed this movie, though I didn't get to watch it without any interruptions, so I might have missed a couple parts of dialogue, but I don't see that affecting the perception of the movie.

At first, I thought these 10 people would come together and find out that they had some sort of connection to each other and in the end, it was all about how they deceived each other, which is why they start murdering, but it wasn't like that.  They were actually strangers, no connection whatsoever and just decided to try out this "experiment" for the money.

The story does go on smoothly meaning that there are no holes and everything has it's own place, however, the ending was disappointing even with the twist which is almost a bit predictable (which I wont spoil).

As for the acting, they used some of HoriPro's best actors and actresses to play in this film.  And you can't expect less considering it was a 50th anniversary film.
- I was surprised to see Ohno Takuro in the film.  I thought his first acting gig was Misaki Number One, but turns out it was this movie.  Can definitely tell he's a rookie with this film.  His lines seemed kind of forced and a bit exaggerant, but I can see improvement after watching Misaki. 
I also need to mention that I don't get what everyone's problem is with the hwole "self-proclaimed Kimura Takuya" thing.  Yeah he's a long ways before he can even touch the career KimuTaku has and will never be him, but you gotta admit, he does look like a young version of KimuTaku.  I got no hate for this kid, plus where's that perm? haha.
- Why does Fujiwara Tatsuya always get stuck in some sort of Death game. I mean really? Not that I have a problem with it, I'm just seeing some sort of trend haha, although in this movie, he's more of a coward than the other ones.  I was a bit happy to see him get a chance to smile.  I feel like I haven't gotten a chance to see him actually smile in the stuff I've seen him in.
- During psycho scenes, definitely a bit of overacting, but what can you expect for something that's almost a horror film.  I did really like the fighting scene at the end though.  The struggle really looked believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment