Thursday, August 18, 2011

Movie: GS Wonderland

I just watched GS Wonderland.  It's been sitting in my external for months now and while I got into the excitement of Summer Dramas, I forgot I had a couple movies waiting to be watched.

GS Wonderland was very.... oldies to me.  Which means this movie had done its job since it was based in the late 60's up to 1970.  Really retro.  Really Brady Bunch.  Really..... Austin Powers!  I had no idea what GS stood for (apparently its Group Sound), even after watching the movie.  I'm not even sure if they mentioned what it meant.  All I knew was GS were people who can sing AND play instruments (group sound.... lol).

So the story is about a guy (Masao played by Ishida Takuya) who can play the guitar that wants to start his own GS band (like The Beatles, who was referenced 2 or 3 times) and be able to perform on the Grand Stage (grand stage? cant remember the name).  By fate, he meets 2 guys who can play the Drums (Shun played by Mizushima Hiro) and Bass (Kenta played by Asari Yosuke).  They are discovered one day while playing on the roof of a building, but aren't able to form a group, not until they find someone to play the organ.  Miku (Kuriyama Chiaki), a female looking to get a recording contract, had come to Kaiji Ryosuke's agency in hopes of getting signed.  She mentions that she has been able to play piano since she was young and has even won competitions, but ultimately he rejects her because GS bands are what's in at the moment.  After discovering the band, it occurs to Kaiji that in order to sign them, he needs to disguise Miku as a boy and have her play the organ.  The guys are suspicious that HE really looks like a SHE and aren't believing it.  After a few sessions together, they decide to follow Miku to "his" apartment only to find out that he really is a girl.

Their popularity rose when they changed their gimmick as a GS band from Military with the name "The Diamonds" to fairytale men in tights called "The Tightsmen" (LOLLLL!!!!!).  Mick (Miku) was their ikemen of the group, girls loved... him.  Shun didn't like the idea of having a female in the group, but went along with it because of their popularity.  At the height of their popularity, the Tightsmen was threatened that if they don't stop before the chorus of their song on national television, The Knuckles (another band that went from GS to Hendrix), was going to reveal that Mick was a girl.  As they stopped before the chorus, Mick revealed that he is in fact a girl and that was the end of the Tightsmen's career.

Miku was offered a job as a solo singer, which is what she wanted all along, but she didn't like the idea, especially after getting along with her group members so well.  They supported her and told her she should go ahead and do it.  At her debut live, it appeared that the Knuckles were opening for her.  Masao ran off saying something about a party leaving Shun behind.  The Tightsmen hijacked the Knuckles equipment sending the Knuckles off (and nekkid) chasing after them.  When they get there, it turns out it wasn't the Tightsmen, but the Fresh Four (the oldies band that I didnt mention earlier) dressed as them.  The REAL Tightsmen did so in order to have a real farewell concert as the Tightsmen.  At the end of the movie, Masao is getting his school stuff together, and really.. I had no idea this guy was actually in High School still haha.. with the TV on.  Miku was performing on the Grand Stage that he dreamed of doing.  The movie ends with him cutting his hilarious moptop wig of a hair.

I actually intended to do a short summary of the movie, but I ended up writing more details than I intended which I ALWAYS tend to do.  Whatever.  I liked this movie, but it wasn't enough for me to keep it.  I deleted it and emptied the recycling :/.  I was going to say it's strange to see that Hiro didn't have a bigger role than what he had, but this was from 2008, when his popularity was rising.  I don't even know what I was expecting from this movie, I don't even know what prompted me to watch this in the first place but I finally watched it and now I miss watching my dramas which I'm going back to later.

No comments:

Post a Comment